Pages

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Meet my Cameras - part 2

I had been talking about experimenting with different film formats for some time, so for my birthday a few years ago the husband got me a sweet little Yashica-D. When I first started thinking about broadening my horizons into medium format film, I had in mind one of the new Holga type cameras, so when I opened up the box and saw this I was completely blown away, and a little intimidated.


Here was this vintage camera without a modern convenience to be found. Sure, in theory, I could figure out all on my own the appropriate f-stop and shutter speed to use depending on the light level, but my memory was a pretty fuzzy on the process. I had gotten so lazy with digital cameras that so easily slip back into automatic mode that I wasn't sure that I could take a decent photo without help from a computer. And on top of that I had to wonder if this puppy would actually work at all. Ebay sellers make no real guarantees with this sort of thing.

So I tried it out. And it worked! To this day it seems like some sort of miracle that I can make this thing take pictures. But it is so much fun to use and definitely not without its own learning curve. My first roll I never developed prints of because I thought of it as really just a test, so my first ever shot on is still only in negative form. Here is a somewhat diluted version of the first shot - I just scanned the negative and then inverted the colors.


No comments:

Post a Comment